Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Walk while you have the light.

I used to labor under the impression that walking into walls, cars, doors...basically anything and everything...was normal. At least for me. Two years ago this June, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which helped to explain a lot regarding my lack of balance, dizziness, etc. (or it may be that the walking into walls is just a product of my natural grace). My neurologist told me to be very careful about walking in the dark - he said it would disorient me and throw off my balance even more than "normal."

Today is Palm Sunday, and I am still wearing the red Hosanna bracelet that was given out at church months ago (and not to digress, but yes, I do clean it). I'm a little embarrassed at my ignorance up to that point, not knowing the actual Greek meaning of the word "hosanna." Growing up in church, I thought it an exclamation of praise only, inextricably linked with Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem the week before his crucifixon ... the Sunday that has become known by many as Palm Sunday. So I was surprised, and grateful (it's always better to have the correct knowledge - I'm funny that way) to learn that "hosanna" is based on a Greek word of the New Testament derived from a combination of two Hebrew words of the Old Testament, pronounced yaw-shah. It means means to save or deliver. The other word is naw, meaning pray. Or, as John Piper has stated:

"[I]f you look in a Greek dictionary to find what it means, you know what you find? You find that it is really not originally a Greek word after all. The men who wrote the New Testament in Greek ... just used Greek letters to make the sound of a Hebrew phrase. ... Our English word 'hosanna' comes from a Greek word 'hosanna' which comes from a Hebrew phrase hoshiya na. And that Hebrew phrase is found one solitary place in the whole Old Testament, Psalm 118:25, where it means, 'Save, please!' It is a cry to God for help. Like when somebody pushes you off the diving board before you can swim and you come up hollering: 'Help, save me . . . Hoshiya na!'

Actually, it all sounds Greek to me. Or Japanese, really. But what a thought that the people were actually crying out/praying for Jesus to save/deliver them, and that he willingly became our deliverance. I still wear my bracelet to remind me that I can't (and don't want) to do life in my own strength. The God who created the cosmos stepped into time to become a mortal man. The God who spoke the Sun, the moon, the planets and galaxies into being actually walked on this dusty, decadent earth, felt all the emotions and pain that I feel (and more), and STILL loves me and calls me to follow him, even though it was for my sake that Jesus bore that pain. He could have opted out. It always amazes me that he didn't.

Instead, Jesus told his disciples "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven: "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." John 12:25-28 (emphasis added)

A crowd had gathered at that point, and they responded to Jesus' words with a challenge (the ESV says "the crowd answered him"). I'm going to assume from the context of this chapter that the crowd was being cheeky, ornery and/or cynical. "We have heard from the Law that the Christ remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?"

Jesus' response was the exact opposite of what I would have said to the cheeky buggers ... probably something along the lines of "You obviously don't care, so I'm done with you." Instead he said to them, "The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going." John 12:34-35 Remarkably, he warned them and offered them hope.

Walking in the darkness is a dangerous exercise, physically (particularly for people who are horizontally challenged like me) and especially spiritually. Why would we fumble around in the dark, tripping over obstacles/traps in our path, when we could simply turn on the light and walk in it?

God, save us/deliver us from the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment